Parade Info and Application
2017 SIU Homecoming Parade Information
The Saluki Odyssey: Heroes, Myths, and Traditions
There are five types of parade entries.
- Marching Band Unit
- Car/Truck Unit
- Walking Unit
- Equestrian Unit
- Small Float Unit (less than 30ft long)
- Large Float Unit (more than 30ft long)
- Parade line-up begins at 8am. Units are placed into the parade order on a first come, first served basis. Units containing more than one vehicle must arrive at the same time in order to be placed together in the line-up.
- Each unit must display the name(s) of the group(s) sponsoring each unit/unit number and must be posted on the front right side of the unit.
- All parade entries must be less than 13 feet tall in order to clear all telephone and electrical lines along the parade route.
- For the safety of all, all parade units should maintain a close equal distance during the entire length of the parade route and parade entries are not allowed to stop at the judging stand.
- Extinguisher is required for any float or other entry using gasoline or other flammable substances.
- The distribution of candy and other promotional materials is permitted. These items should be distributed in a safe manner. This distribution should not cause a liter problem or cause those viewing the parade to approach moving vehicles in an unsafe manner to obtain these items.
- Units containing horses or other live animals must provide their own sanitary clean up personnel with shovels/rakes. Failure to comply will result in removal from the parade.
- Parade unit may not contain references or the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, firearms, weapons, or adult stores/strip clubs.
- The Student Programming Council Homecoming Committee reserves the right to deny access or remove any group or individual from the parade with cause. This includes but is not limited to inappropriate or offensive content or behavior, safety or liability concerns or units not relevant to the general purposes of the SIU Homecoming Parade.
In order to be considered for a trophy, your float must be related to SIU Homecoming, or the Homecoming Theme. Floats will be judged on the following criteria:1. Display of Saluki Pride
2. Relativity to Theme
4. Overall Effect and Attractiveness.
- 1st and 2nd place trophies will be presented to the three size categories of Marching Band Units.
- Two overall winner trophies will be presented to the winning float in the Large Float Category and in the Small Float Category.
- The Parade Judging Stand will be located on the west side of South Illinois Avenue in front of Quigley Hall just north of Grand Avenue.
- Marching Band Unit winners will be announced at the trophy presentation ceremony following the Parade in the SIU Student Center Roman Room starting at 12:30 pm on Saturday, October 14. Beginning Monday, October 16, winners may claim their trophies from the Office of Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the SIU Student Center.
- Overall Float winners will be announced at halftime of the Homecoming Football game.
This Form must be submitted by September 29 at 4:30 pm.
For additional information, contact the Student Programming Council
618/536-3393 or email@example.com